In this episode I’m talking all about Depth of Field. Three things impact Depth of Field:
- Focal Length
- Distance from subject
After posting this video to YouTube a few people commented that I left out sensor size. Well the truth is that sensor size does not determine depth of field… but it does influence it. Let me explain.
If you have a smaller sensor and a full frame sensor both shooting at the same distance with the same aperture and focal length the DOF will be the same for both. Therefore, sensor size does not determine DOF. The problem is that with a small sensor you’ll need to use a wider angle lens or shoot farther from the subject to get the same scene as a larger sensor – and that will impact DOF because you’ve changed one of the three deciding factors.
So does sensor size impact DOF? No. But it does change how you have to shoot and that in turn does impact DOF. So yes, sensor size ultimately impacts DOF.
Gear used in this video
- Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Digital SLR Camera Kit
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens
- Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Shoe Mount Flash
- Canon EF 16 – 35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case & Hood
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM AutoFocus Wide Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case & Hood